Sunday, March 14, 2010

InstaPyGame progress report

I spent the last three days working on a prototype "space shooter" module for my InstaPyGame framework. I had hoped to have a prototype ready today, but the framework isn't usable yet. You can see my progress so far at my Google Code repository, but be warned; the code is messy and inconsistent, and nothing is set in stone.

However, I have created an API with which I'm satisfied. Making the sample below work properly is my goal for this prototype.


from insta.spaceshooter import *

def startDemo():

    game = Game(640, 480)
    
    player = Player()
    player.setSprite('resources/ship.gif')
    
    player.when(player.moving, 'left').setSprite('resources/bankingleft.gif')
    player.when(player.moving, 'right').setSprite('resources/bankingright.gif')
    
    shot = Shot()
    shot.setSprite('resources/shot.gif')
    
    player.setAmmo(shot)
    
    enemy = Enemy()
    enemy.setSprite('resources/alien.gif')
    
    boss = Enemy()
    boss.setSprite('resources/angryalien.gif')
    
    mapGen = LevelMapGenerator({'0' : None, '1' : player, '2' : enemy, '3' : boss})
    
    level = Level(mapGen.generate('data/levelmap1.txt'))
    level.setBGSprite('resources/space.gif')
    level.setBGMusic('resources/spacemusic.ogg')
    
    game.setLevels([level])
    game.start()

if __name__ == '__main__':

    startDemo()

Right now, I'm working on the event system and the controls, but the event system appears far more challenging. I'm planning to encapsulate the data for the "Player" and "Enemy" objects within another object, protecting the data behind its member functions. This should allow me to create a special data object that will apply its changes only when a condition is fulfilled.

Although the framework is far from complete, I'm excited about the possibilities. I have plenty of work ahead of me, but I think my goal is worth the effort.